Thursday, March 04, 2010

How to make an American Quilt!!

Jenny's beginners quilting class has come to an end ... it was just three, 3 hour sessions long ... and not only has she learnt a new skill but a whole new vocabulary too ... basting, binding, scant quarter of an inch, batting, floss (or what we might know as thread!) ... the list goes on!!
So in her own words this is how it's done ...
  • Pick some material (for those of you who are surprised by the choice ... to cut a long story short due to the snow I couldn't get to the shops I wanted too ... but figured this was going to be a trial run!!)
  • Go to a class ... round here it's not difficult to find one ... quilting is a way of life for many people!! (The Vacshak in Downtowner Plaza, here in Coshocton is where I headed!!)
  • Lots of work at home and in the class ... the sewing machine was smokin' ... anytime Abigail was asleep I was usually working away (the class was over just 3 weeks ... so there was lots of homework!!)
  • A class photo at the end of the 3 sessions with our handiwork ... it was great to meet new people in town all of whom were doing the class for different reasons ... clockwise from me, Becky, Susan (mother & daughter), Mary & Kay.
In such a short amount of time, as beginners, we weren't ever going have a completed quilt ... but we now have the skills and knowledge to finish these ones ... and then start new different styled ones ... and the lovely Brenda and Denise who run the Vacshak are always there to help when we get stuck (thank you ladies!).
Unfortunately for Mark ... I'm hooked!! Whether it's the possibilities of different colours/patterns/materials ... the precision involved ... the fun of laying it all out & piecing it together like a jigsaw ... I'm not sure ... but I'm definitely already getting ideas for my next project!! For those of you rolling your eyes and thinking there's no hope for her ... you're right!!! With each passing day I seem to be turning into the stereotypical missionary wife ... he he!! I now just need a few extra days in the week so that I can actually get on and keep stitching, on top of everything else!!

3 comments:

  1. Great job Jenny! Woo Hoo! I've been in the sewing mood too. I'm making flannel baby quilts. I'll have to show you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you met Kay. She lives on our street and was a former teacher of our children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jenny..you and Daniel should get together, he's finished a few quilts already, and they're a different pattern...you guys should swap patterns :) Looks awesome girl!

    ReplyDelete